This week we’re shaking things up a bit! Our Fashion Friday Trend Reports are all about introducing details, options and tidbits of information that can help you choose the perfect ring, but we were recently asked a question on our twitter that made us realize we hadn’t covered all the bases!
Hello, a friend needs to surprise his girlfriend by giving an engagement ring but dont know her size. Ideas?@NatalieKJewelry
— Olanrewaju Rotifa (@Olareh) January 17, 2014
Say you’ve found the perfect ring, it calls your name, but you have no idea her ring size!? You want to make it a grand surprise proposal, but it won’t end well if the ring doesn’t fit. Let’s go through a few good, stealthy ways to figure out her ring size. Tip #1, your jeweler is your friend!
- Trace a Line Take a look in her jewelry box, does she have a ring she’s fond already fond of that she wears on that special finger (either, right or left, hand is just fine). Sneak in a pen and paper and trace the inside of the ring! Take it into the jeweler and voila!
- Soap?! If you’re worried you might not get the perfect outline try making a quick impression in a bar of soap. This will give a pretty accurate read when compared with a ring sizer!
- Use a Candlestick Less likely to find around the house, but easy to get your hands on is a tapered candle stick. Take the ring, slide it down and make a gentle impression or mark where the ring falls comfortably! Tada! Make shift mandrel*!
- “Borrow” a Ring Want to get a more accurate measurement, try swiping one of her rings for the day to take to your jewelers. Of course it’ll have to be a least favorite, one she won’t notice, otherwise the jig is up and you’ll have some explaining to do!
- Enlist a Partner If you can’t get a moment alone with her treasure chest, go it the easy route. Ask around, her mom, sister, father, best friend, cousin twice removed! Anyone she’s close with whose done a shopping trip with her or bought her jewelry might already have the inside scoop. If not, maybe take up a partner in crime and have someone do a quick shopping trip.
If all else fails, take a guess! Most jewelers carry a stock size somewhere between 6.5 and 7, your jeweler can almost always resize the ring post proposal. But if you’re in doubt, size up! You’ll be able to slip the ring on her finger for the perfect proposal picture (remember guys get a photographer) and have it sized down later.
* A tapered metal tool used to determine rings sizes, you can see one in the image above.